Location: Washington, D.C.
The mission of American Compass is to restore an economic consensus that emphasizes the importance of family, community, and industry to the nation’s liberty and prosperity. Our work covers domestic and economic policy issues relating to globalization and industry, financialization and corporate governance, labor, tech, education, family, and more.
Policy advisors lead the substantive policy work that forms the core of the organization’s activities, conducting research on the major issues of the day, formulating innovative policy proposals, publishing across media platforms, participating in public events, and serving as trusted advisors to prominent policymakers and their staffs. The role is ideal for a thoughtful, collaborative policy expert with prior experience on Capitol Hill or in a presidential administration and a passion for developing deep expertise and creative solutions on a wide range of public policy issues.
Function breakdown: 100% program
- Take ownership of a constantly evolving policy portfolio, quickly attaining expert status on new issues and comfort working with policymakers to address them
- Familiarize policymakers with Compass’s work and support policy development efforts
- Advise Compass team on major developments and help craft strategy for response
- Conduct independent research and writing projects for both the American Compass platform and third-party publications, establishing public profile as a researcher and commentator
- Act as a public representative for American Compass, speaking to journalists, appearing on radio and TV, and presenting and moderating at events
- 5 years of experience working in fields that require engagement with American politics and public policy
- Expertise in some areas of public policy and familiarity with a wide range of policy issues
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, with a track record of creating publication-quality written work (public products under own name not expected)
- A strategic mindset, with the ability to design effective programs and policies from scratch
- Experience working collaboratively with policymakers and their staffs
- Strong organizational and logistical skills; comfort working remotely and with limited supervision and structure
How to Apply
To apply, please send:
- cover letter,
- resume, and
- writing sample of no more than 1,500 words
to email@example.com, attached to a single email.