On this episode of Policy in Brief, Oren Cass and Chris Griswold discuss how to spur private investment, innovation, and competition by guaranteeing demand for domestic production. In recent years, industrial production has been increasingly offshored, leaving supply chains more fragile and entrenched abroad. America’s domestic industry has declined as a result, degrading our long-term ability to innovate and leaving the U.S. dependent on other nations for critical goods. A local content requirement (LCR) for goods that are critical for national security or the industrial base would go a long way to reshoring American industry and rebuilding the U.S. manufacturing base.
- American Compass policy brief: Local Content Requirements
- On Domestic Sourcing (Michael Lind, American Compass)
- The Balancing Act. (American Compass)
- The Import Quota That Remade the Auto Industry (Wells King & Dan Vaughn, Jr., American Compass)
- Make It in America to Sell It in America Act (Senator Josh Hawley and Representative Claudia Tenney)